Hello all,

In trying to upgrade a RedHat Linux7.0 system I inherited to Perl5.6.0
There are several versions of perl installed on the system and I've run
into a problem restarting the server.  To set a context for you all, I'm
not a perl or apache expert, so I may be (OK probably) missing something
here.

I got the following message when trying to start the server.

[Fri Jul 13 10:37:24 2001] [error] Perl 5.00564 required--this is only
version 5.00503, stopped at /etc/httpd//lib.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /etc/httpd//lib.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/pickcity/htdocs/init.pl line
1.

Syntax error on line 1029 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Perl 5.00564 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at
/etc/httpd//lib.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /etc/httpd//lib.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/pickcity/htdocs/init.pl line
1.

This didn't make sense because, as I said above, I installed perl5.6.0.
So, just to double check, I invoked perl from the command line (from
/usr/bin) to ask it what version it is, I got the following:

[root@localhost pickcity]# perl -v

This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux

Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source
kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to
the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home
Page.

This is the only perl executable on the system that I can tell.

Note that I'm trying to use the "use lib" syntax in init.pl to point
Apache and Perl to the set of perl5.6.0 directories where the perl
modules live as they doesn't seem to be pointing to the right
directories. So, this seems to be sort of a "catch 22" . It's telling me
that I don't have the right version, yet when I invoke perl, it tells me
that I have a totally different version.

It appears that somehow, Apache is trying to use a version of perl other
than that currently on the system. I don't know if this means its
pointing to modules that are old or even how thinks it knows what the
current version is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James