(I can speak for ORA :-)

Gunther wrote:
> Since I didn't know the area and don't have a travel agent I trust
> to really know the hotel geography relative to the conference, I
> just reached out of my ass and paid the high cost of being in THE
> conference hotel. Of course, I do prefer to be at the conference
> hotel because it's more fun to be close to the action, it would have
> been nice to have been given a choice.

When we book a venue for a conference, the hotel expects our attendees
to book a certain number of rooms for a certain number of nights.  If
our attendees don't meet that number, we end up paying through the
nose (or more painful orifices).  That's the main reason we list only
one hotel on the web page.

I've posted (and will attach again) some information on cheap nearby
hotels for anyone who's still thinking of coming.  The travel agent we
recommend can also find you cheap hotel rooms.

Randal wrote:
> Yeah, this is a problem with this particular site.  At least last
> year, we were in the heart of Monterey, and there were many things
> close-by for events that didn't involve ponying up to the powers that
> be (such as the killer Stonehenge party).

In many ways, attempting to hold an event *without* ponying up to the
powers that be is freeloading.  We lose money putting on the
conference that gathers together the people who would attend your
publicity event (a.k.a. party), and you don't want to pay us for that?
Sounds very cheap to me.  Conference organizers offer many
opportunities for sponsorship, including on-site parties.

Yes, it's a bummer that the hotel isn't within walking distance of
stores and bars and restaurants for socializing.  But we will be
running shuttle busses to downtown areas at night (see
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2001/pub/10/see_do.html for
more information).

Nat
  Property Name:    San Diego Bay View Thriftlodge
  Property Address: 1943 Pacific Highway
                    San Diego,  California,  United States,  92101
  Property Phone Number: 619-232-7551
  Reservation Phone:     1-800-578-7878

  The ThriftLodge is 1.8 miles from the Sheraton.... Less than the length
  of the airport runway in the picture. Easily walkable in 30-40 minutes
  and even more easily bike-able. Or, with the savings one realizes from
  lodging, one could rent a car. (The airport car rental agencies are,
  ironically, about halfway between the ThriftLodge and the Sheraton,
  along the walking path.) A car would cost $20-30 per day -- far less
  than the difference in hotel rates.

  The AAA rate is $40.50 per night for a non-smoking room with a queen
  bed. There's also an EconoLodge -- same company -- within two blocks.
  It's slightly more (not a lot more) per night and has a few more
  amenities. (See http://www.travelodge.com/ctg/cgi-bin/Travelodge.)
  Finally, there's a Best Western that's $80-90 per night (if you get
  a discount) in the other direction on the west side of the harbor.
  The footpath goes there too, though it's a longer walk.