Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also check the archives for 'lingerd' keyword. Here is what I've but it
> didn't enter the guide yet, since it's waiting to be reviewed by Roger
> Espel Llima, the author of lingerd. ...and waiting, and waiting, and
> waiting :(

sorry, I've had a bunch of lingerd work in my todo list for so long,
and i haven't got around to doing it yet...

when you sent me the guide snippet to check, I felt like I wanted to
change some things, but now that I re-read it, the information seems
to be perfectly correct.  I'd just switch the first two paragraphs
around, to start with the sentence that introduces where lingerd
fits in the Apache/mod_perl picture...

> =head2 Closing Lingering Connections with Lingerd

> Lingerd is a daemon (service) designed to take over the job of
> properly closing network connections from an http server like Apache
> and immediately freeing it to handle a new connection.

> Because of some technical complications in TCP/IP, at the end of each
> client connection, it is not enough for Apache to close the socket and
> forget about it; instead, it needs to spend about one second
> I<lingering> on the client.  (More details can be found at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/fin_wait_2.html)
>
> C<lingerd> can only do an effective job if HTTP C<Keep-Alive>s are
> turned off; since C<Keep-Alive>s are useful for images, the
> recommended setup is to have C<lingerd> serving mod_perl enabled
> Apache and plain Apache for images and other static objects.
>
> With a C<lingerd> setup, you don't have the proxy, so the buffering
> chain we have presented before for the proxy setup is much shorter
> here:
>
> FIGURE:
>
>  |   Apache     Kernel   |TCP/IP  `o'
>  | [mod_perl]=>[sendbuf] |======> /|\
>  |                       |        / \
>
> Hence in this setup it becomes more important to have a big enough
> kernel send buffer.
>
> With lingerd, a big enough kernel send buffer, and keep-alives off,
> the job of spoonfeeding the data to a slow client is done by the OS
> kernel in the background. As a result, C<lingerd> makes it possible to
> serve the same load using considerably fewer Apache processes. This
> translates into a reduced load on the server. It can be used as an
> alternative to the proxy setups we have seen so far.
>
> For more information about C<lingerd> see:
> http://www.iagora.com/about/software/lingerd/

> Let me know if it was useful and correct, and I'll put it into the guide.

It is... sorry for the long delay.

--
Roger Espel Llima, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iagora.com/~espel/index.html