A few suggestions for improvements...

Have you seen Stonehenge::Pictures from Randal's WT column? It's kinda neat,
and I use it on home.sergeant.org (which is down right now). It allows you
to add captions to the images, which it think is something you're sorely
missing. And it paginates the images into sizeable pages. One thing I'd like
to see added (if I ever get around to it), is the images displayed on a
.html page with the caption and next/prev buttons. Currently both
Stonehenge::Pictures and Apache::Gallery simply display the .jpg on the
zoomed view.

Anyway, just some thoughts - it'd be really nice to see a great drop-in
solution to the web based gallery thing in mod_perl. There's just so many of
them in PHP!

Matt.