On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Ah, gimme a break.  You want to convince me that
> non-programmers can find their way to the party with a
> fancy GUI?  Go right ahead!  I'll let you wear the
> moose-hat for a whole week if you succeed.  However,
> that doesn't mean I'm going to stay quiet about just how
> unlikely I think it is!

you apparently didn't read my second-to-last message in this
thread, in which i explained that non-programmers are not
the subject of the original idea.

altho kylix was discussed in the first post of the thread,
my actual reply to you stood on its own as a condemnation of
a general cliquish attitude.

> Kylix is not a new idea - it's an old, mostly
> unsuccessful one ported to Linux by an old and mostly
> unsuccessful company.  If it had worked then we'd all be
> out of business and most commercial apps would be
> "written" by business majors with Delphi.

but microsoft visual studio blah blah .net blah blah is
quite popular, isn't it? and many commercial apps /are/
written with that toolset, aren't they?

once again: give people tools they are comfortable with, and
they are more likely to try alternative technologies and
perhaps find their way to the party.

maybe if i said "maybe activestate could make komodo
generate cgis and mod_perl modules", you'd find the idea
more interesting. cos you know, people actually write code
with komodo.