* Philip M. Gollucci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-03-27 10:38]:
> Well I've basically taken your route the first time I tried to
> do this a year ago.  The other problem is that this requires
> the vistors go to this particular page.  If they bookmark to
> another page or type the url of a sublink, this is bypassed,
> and I loose the statistical information.  My problem is that
> the PerlLogHandler I've set up isn't actually supposed to ever
> display anything to the browser.  (I don't think any
> PerLogHandler anyone writes should send anything to the browser
> as is basically an extension to use instead of the apache's
> access_log file.  Although it could if you had a good reason.
> In order for the javascript I gave to get values it has to be
> sent to the browser on a page so its processed my the
> javascript engine in the browsers.

If you are using a PerlTransHandler anyway, you can have one that
sends the client to a particular page if a cookie is not set:

  (a) Client requests /foo.html
  (b) TransHandler sees that cookie is not set, does an internal
      redirect to /js-set-cookie.html, which does some (client
      size) js magic and transparantly redirects to the
      cookie-setting page, which sets the cookie and does its
      own redirect.
  (c) TransHandler gets this request as well (it was an external
      redirect instigated by the client-side javascript), sees
      that the cookie it is looking for is set, and does the
      appropriate redirecting (to the right sized page).

Pretty straightforward.  mod_dir does this sort of thing all the
time, under the covers (although sans javascript, of course).

(darren)

--
You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.
    -- Navajo Proverb