Of course others have already told you about Text::PDF, and no doubt
you googled the group Yahoo!

You can do anything you want with PDFs, but the interface is hard to
grok
and you really need to wrap it.

I have a framework that we use to pull info from a database on-the-fly,
and generate either Excel spreadsheets, Text dumps or PDFs. It ain't
really ready for public primetime.

I put out a message about 6 months ago in the PDF list asking if anyone
wanted to co-operate with me on getting it ready for realworld.
The goal is to be able to create some relatively simple Perl structures
and then throw them at a Spreadsheet, PDF, HTML or other rendering
engine
and reap the rewards!

The doc tree used [i.e. Perl structures] leant heavily on the CSS
analysis
done by the w3 guys on how to organise layout and styles etc in such a
way as to be independent of the ultimate rendering environment.

Here is the post where I postulate an ideal universe where data is
automagically formatted in wondrous tabular PDF prose...

mail me direct if you want to help take it further.

Regards
Jeff