If you touch SessionDBI for every request, why don't go directly to the
Basic Authentication ? Using AuthCookie would 1) slow down the
authentication process (because an extra MD5 hash calculation) and 2) drop
off 10% of users who have disabled the cookie.

One of the nice features in the AuthCookie, and ticketing authentication
systems in general, is that the ticket is self-consistent. So one can check
if the ticket is valid without calling any DBI (instead, it calculates a
MD5). Repeating SELECTs/UPDATEs to DBI does hurt much the performance of a
high traffic site.

My 2 cents.

Peter Bi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]