[when suggesting things please give people some time to respond,
especially given the crazy traffic at this list lately. I just had a
chance to read this thread.]

I'm -1 on renaming. Here is why:

- Not all modules fit into suggested categories, some modules belong to
several ones.

- We definitely don't want the hell to break loose by pushing the
authors to rename their modules. Think of all the documents which aren't
under our control which refer to these module names! Books and articles
to start with.

- This is also doesn't help with the move to 2.0, because many modules
will work with both versions without changes, or with some internal
changes transparent to users. It doesn't force authors to rename their
modules. And with the Apache2/ dir trick, there is no reason for doing
that at all.

It'd be great though to have guidelines for developing Apache:: modules
and their name conventions. There feel free to suggest a better
categorization.

And I'm -1 on maintaining a separate catalog. Here is why:

CPAN is already categorizing Apache:: modules.
http://www.cpan.org/modules/00modlist.long.html#ID15_WorldWideW (just
scroll down till you get to Apache::)
all we need is to add #Apache and the problem solved. We have already
tried to maintain apache-modlist.html, which just didn't work, the file
was neglected and many new modules aren't there. Whereas they are in the
CPAN listing. May be instead of potentially wasting efforts here, the
effort should go to help improve 00modlist.long.html, so both Apache and
other Perl categories will benefit from this. I'm quite sure that
Andreas and folks who bring you CPAN will be glad to get any help in
this direction. Andreas please correct me if I'm wrong.