Valerio_Valdez Paolini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Software-based RAID 1: Is it usable (only for a data partition, not
> > required for the root partition)? Is it easy to recover from a broken
> > disk?
>
> If possible, consider using hardware RAID, like Mylex ones; they are
> quite expensive, because of SCSI disks, but you gain cpu cycles;

But my box isn't short of CPU cycles, so I'd be paying that price for
no gain.

Obviously hardware RAID will save CPU cycles somewhat, and SCSI disks
of the right type will increase IO bandwidth somewhat, but if you're
not short of those things and still want the added security of
mirroring, I think the software RAID is a viable option.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net