> I wonder how much code you would save if you wrote the templates in
> Perl and let the Perl interpreter do the above.

I recommend that you read this Page:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/21/templating.html?page=2

I'm an OO-advocate, I believe in proper separation of logic, content and
presentation and on top of that I want people to be able to edit
templates easily in dreamweaver, frontpage, etc and send templates thru
HTML tidy to be able to always output valid XHTML.

Petal lets me do that. If that's not of any use to you, fine. The world
is full of excellent 'inline style' modules such as HTML::Mason,
HTML::Embperl and other Apache::ASP.

After all, TIMTOWDI :-)
Regards,
--