On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Erich Markert wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:15:20 -0400
> From: Erich Markert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [OT] document management
>
> I do work for a Land Use legal center from time to time.  They have a
> project that eventually needs to find it's way onto the web in order to
> maximize information sharing.
>
> What I need to find is a system that would allow users to upload word
> and/or pdf and/or html files into a library system that would
> automatically extract keywords and then file the documents into a
> database.  The goal of all this is to avoid having users doing double
> work, e.g. creating word docs only to convert, etc., while having a
> system that is as user friendly as possible because most of these users
> aren't technically savy.
>
> I've been doing searches for mod_perl & non-mod_perl based solutions but
> haven't found anything (lot's of content management but no document
> management).
>
> TIA

I wrote something like this once.  It wasn't very fun.  My model was
mod_index (sorta) and George Sanderson's Apache::OpenIndex.  I worked
in some hooks to RCS via the Rcs.pm module so that I could archive
different versions of files.  I quit the company before I got around
to indexing and searching, but it wouldn't be that hard, either using
MySQL and full-text searches or maybe some "real" indexing engine
(like maybe ht://Dig).

It took me a few months, but rolling my own taught me a lot and gave
my employers just what they were looking for (I guess).

ky