On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:54:22PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Ed wrote:
> >Could be bad hardware.  Search google for Signal 11.
>
> That's actually pretty rare.  Segfaults are usually just a result of
> memory-handling bugs in C programs.

I saw the problem when someone had their memory speed too low in their
bios using an asus-a7v motherboard.  Apps such as bzip2 croaked and memory
intensive compiles failed in random places.

very similar to the first answer here: http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

When we were trying to debug, the failures were a giant mystery.
We spent days inside of gdb and such trying to figure out what the
heck was up.  It turns out the bios reset to incorrect settings after a
power failure and took a week or so till the random sig 11's showed up.

It was at a remote colocation too ... (checking the bios was last on our list)
We ended up replacing the box at the colo ... this melted/sig11 box is still
able to run netbsd with the bios under-clocked (up 183 days) but they dont
use it for anything important

Anyway I have a story about a bad nic cable too .... but will save it

/me paronoid about mysterious sig 11's ...

Ed