Randy Kobes wrote:

You may want to take a look at
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/correct_headers/correct_headers.html
where, like Geoff suggested, it is strongly advised to
*not* use set_etag() for dynamic content. This page also
discusses the Last-Modified, Expires, and Cache-Control headers.
I've actually read that document entirely. It indeed says it's dangerous to use etags on dynamic content, but when my data changes its md5-sum is automatically updated, and thus the etag. If I'm missing something here, please point it to me.

>$r->set_etag doesn't seem to work, it wants to be called as
>Apache::set_etag ()
>
>[Sun Oct 27 14:37:39 2002] [error] Usage: Apache::set_etag(r) at...

This usage message I think is coming from the C side, giving how
the correspoding C function would be called. The error may be
coming from trying to set this for something other than a file on
disc.
I'm using $R->header_out ('Etag', $val) since the other methods do not work. Will Apache consider this value when pondering the meets_conditions predicate?

Also, I hate to whine, but despite the docs saying so, whatever value my script returns is completely ignored; I have to use $R->status (). I'm using Apache::Registry, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks

Cristóvão