Hi Richard --

> Do you use CVS checkouts to upgrade the live system or do you this
> manually. i.e. stop apache, tar and remove old code, untar new code,
> start apache et voila?

On single-server web sites (as opposed to a site running in a clustered
environment) a CVS checkout works just fine.

Once you get into a situation where you need to update multiple servers
simultaneously you need another system.  For sites with a modest amount of
traffic and a smallish cluster, NFS works very well.  For high-volume sites
with a large cluster of servers I would use rsync.

FYI, I used to be adverse to having a checked out CVS "working directory" on
a production website, but I changed my tune on that years ago.  Using CVS
for distribution of changes into production is far easier, less prone to
mistakes and downright efficient than distributing static files.  CVS over
SSH is also encrypted and secure.  Just make sure to configure your web
server to block access to "CVS/" directories!

TTYL,

-Jesse-

--

  Jesse Erlbaum