Perrin>   Someone else will eventually have to maintain them, so I
Perrin> write in a way that a novice with a copy of Learning Perl has a hope
Perrin> of understanding.

Perrin> When I work in an environment that is more Perl-centric, I expand the
Perrin> vocabulary of my code more.

This is the position we support during our code review services as
well.  You can use fancy stuff, but be sure to point to where you
learned it. :)