I am worried about the ENV{MOD_PERL} var not being set. What would cause that not to get set? Is it a perms issue? In the conf file the User is nobody and the Group is nobody. I am doing the entire make as root.

Stas Bekman wrote:

Matt Lopresti wrote:

I am using RedHat 7.2, apache 1.3.27, mod_perl 1.27. Everything istalls correctly and make test is all a go. I then start the server, run a print env script and I dont get a MOD_PERL env and the gatway interface is CGI/1.1, I am however getting the server software env with mod_perl/1.27. I also added the the script in httpd.conf and took out the she bang line to perform another test, no go, internal server error. I do this process as root.

What's the relevant section of your httpd.conf, where a <Location> is configured to run under mod_perl handler? You probably run scripts under mod_cgi. Did you look at:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html#Configuring_and_Starting_the_mod_perl_Server
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html#A_Simple_Apache_Perl_Content_Handler

The .conf file looks good.

Here is how I built mod_perl and apache:

% tar xzvf apache_1.3.27.tar.gz
% tar xzvf mod_perl-1.27.tar.gz
% cd mod_perl-1.27
% perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.27/src \
  DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 (I have also used the USE_DSO=1)
% make && make test && make install
% cd ../apache_1.3.27
% make installd

I'm not sure what "installd" is, but the rest looks good.