Nigel Hamilton wrote:
	But I'm also interested to learn how everyone synchronises
(replicates) the software on their load balanced servers .... cron, ftp,
rsync?
I've had the most success with rsync from the staging area to an NFS server. All production servers read content and code from the NFS server.

	Also does anyone have a variation on the traditional design of a
single dedicated database server sitting behind a bank of web servers?
The only common variation is replicating read-only data across multiple databases, often MySQL.

All transactions are first recorded in 'heap' tables (e.g., searchbucket, clickbucket) on the search nodes, then siphoned off to master tables by a dedicated database machine.
If these transactions are something you would be upset about losing, that would worry me. If a machine crashed, they would all be gone.

- Perrin