>You're certainly right. But since AIX made such a lot of problems for the DSO
>support in Apache (you know, every platforms was mostly friendly, except AIX)
>I really hate this flavor of Unix ;-)

The way DSO's are build under AIX appears to be quite strange, but if
you look at it you will see that it is really useful. If you throw
together large components from various folks it is really nice to be
able to restrict name space problems by explicetely nameing the symbols
that should be visible from a DSO. Especially if you get to situations
where a plug-in to an application has its own plug-in system as well
(for example mod_perl in Apache) you can very quickly encounter
problems due to name space clashes.

I find the default way of most ELF based systems of simply throwing
everything in one symbol table a problem for large projects, although
it is convenient for the lazy ones. And indeed most of the commerical
Unix vendors have seen the problem as well, and with Sun Solaris, SGI
and HP-UX you can configure the linkers to produce a similar behaviour
as in AIX, you only can access what is explicitely specified in an
export file. We do that in our applications at Helios, and I believe it
helps us more than it is inconvenient.

Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3