On Mon, Feb 08, 1999, Bruce Bernstein wrote:

> >*cough*
>
> >Again, I've tried using mod_ssl, 2.2.2 this time, and Apache 1.3.4.  I
> >normally can tackle most things myself, but...
>
> >Startup goes fine.  I can browse the standard httpd server just fine.
> >Problems start when I go to the https ports.  I get the certs, and
> >authorize just fine, then, I get a broken display for a page, and this
> >in error_log
>
> One thing I've noticed is that building mod_ssl using DSO causes this
> behavior.  Of course, I'm on Solaris 2.5.1...  but if you have been building
> it shared you might try a static build instead.  That fixed this sort of
> thing for me. :-)

Yeah, and at least under Solaris it's neither a bug in Apache nor in mod_ssl
nor in SSLeay. As it looks it's a result of a strange loading strategy in the
Solaris dynamic linker caused by Apache's braindead two-round initialization.
I've still no workaround for this Solaris problem at hand, but when I find
time I'll investigate again.

BTW, that's exactly the same problem mod_perl has under Solaris/DSO
     situation for a long time.