On Wed, Mar 10, 1999, Christian Buysschaert wrote:

> > But your situation seems to be different. First I do not understand why
> > SSL_XXX variables shouldn't be available for your regular CGI
> > scripts.  Second you say that with ColdFusions CGI handler
> > everything works, so why do you want that the Allaire people
> > do anything when it already works?
>
> Well, since your adaptations (thank you! ;-) ) the ColdFusion
> module loads correctly and seems to have all functionality
> as expected... but ... and now it comes ... I want to do
> client authentication and then use the information from
> the certificate to do look ups in a database for more
> specific tayloring of the page.
>
> Now, I have a small test page which shows all mod_ssl
> CGI variables on a client authenticated website. Client
> authentication works flawlessly but ...
>
> https://192.168.0.44/test.cfm (use the ColdFusion module)
>
> results in no variables shown!
>
> https://192.168.0.44/cgi-bin/cfml.exe?template=/test.cfm
> (uses classic CGI scripting)

Ah, now I understand you: With "classic CGI scripting" you still referred to
the ColdFusion program and not to a custom "printenv"-like script.

> results in all the variables!
> Strange, no?

No, with these details it now finally looks exactly like the mod_perl handlers
problem: The cfml.exe is run by mod_cgi which means all SSL_XXX variables are
available, because the process is spawned _after_ mod_ssl has filled the
environment. The .cfm stuff seems to be exanded directly the by mod_coldfusion
handler and _before_ mod_ssl has filled the environment. Hmm... I'll look,
perhaps I can create the environment variables a little bit earlier in the API
processing, although it wasn't intended to do it this way (what that doesn't
mean anything, because we intended a lot in the Apache API but had to do it
finally different for various reasons.. ;-).