On Thu, Mar 11, 1999, Anton Voronin wrote:

> > Nothing appears in the log files but Netscape says: "The server's certificate has
> > an invalid signature. You will not be able to connect to this site securely."
>
> [skip]
>
> > I first thought that it could happen because I used the server key unencrypted or
> > because I left the challenge password blank. But then I tried encripted key and
> > supplied the challenge password while making CSR, but nothing were changed. BTW,
> > I entered all the fields in CA cert the same as in server CSR - could this be a
> > reason?
>
> I finally found that the problem was really caused by the equality of CA
> certificate's and server certificate's identifying fields. I don't know why but this
> ted to digital signature creation failure.

Oh, than it's _this_ old problem. When I remember correctly a few months ago
Tim Hudson described this problem on this list.  Look for his name inside the
sw-mod-ssl mailing list archives.  AFAIK it has to do with some hashing or
lookup algorithms inside SSLeay/OpenSSL where the two DNs values override each
other.