Hello!

I installed Apache/1.3.3 (Win32) mod_ssl/mod_ssl/2.1b8 SSLeay/0.9.0b.

I configured Apache to access a directory with the basic authentication
scheme (using htpasswd.users and htaccess file). The ".htaccess" file
is:

deny from all
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile "/httpd/etc/htpasswd.users"
AuthName "special directory"
require valid-user
satisfy any

If I try to access the protected directory using the normal http
protocol (using the url http://127.0.0.1/Protected"), everything works
fine: the user/password window pops up, I give the correct user/password
sequence and Apache correctly lets me enter.

If I try to access the protected directory using the *https* protocol
(using the url https://127.0.0.1/Protected), the Apache server just wait
few minutes and then Netscape shows me a windows with "No response from
the server".

The SSL section in http.conf is the following:

                DocumentRoot    "/httpd/htdocs"
                ServerAdmin     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                ErrorLog        logs/error.log
                TransferLog     logs/access.log
                CustomLog       logs/ssl_request.log "%t %h %{version}c %{cipher}c
\"%r\" %b
%{subjectdn}c %{issuerdn}c"

                SSLEngine               on

[...snip... certificate stuff ...snip...]

                SSLoptions -FakeBasicAuth

                #   Set the file containing CA certificates which are sent to the
                #   client on an `SSLv3 write certificate request A'. This is
                #   used with SSLv3 certificate chaining where the client loads
                #   intermediate certificates in the chain from the server to
                #   speedup processing of the server authentication. This
                #   defaults to SSLCACertificateFile but can be set to a
                #   different file when you want to use a different set of
                #   certificates you sent out to the client.
                #SSLCACertificateReqFile c:/apps/apache/conf/ssl.crt/ca-bundle.crt

                #   Set client verification level: [RECOMMENDED]
                #   none:           no certificate is required
                #   optional:       the client may  present a valid certificate
                #   require:        the client must present a valid certificate
                #   optional_no_ca: the client may  present a valid certificate
                #                   but it is not required to have a valid CA
                SSLVerifyClient optional_no_ca

                #   Set how deeply to verify the certificate issuer chain before
                #   deciding the certificate is not valid. [OPTIONAL]
                SSLVerifyDepth 2

                #   List the ciphers that the client is permitted to negotiate.
                #   See the mod_ssl documentation for a complete list. [OPTIONAL]
                #SSLCipherSuite RC4-MD5:RC4-SHA:IDEA-CBC-MD5:DES-CBC3-SHA

                #   With SSLRequire you can do access control based on
                #   arbitrary complex boolean expressions containing
                #   server variable checks and other lookup directives.
                #   The syntax is a mixture between C and Perl.
                #   See the mod_ssl documentation for more details.
                #SSLRequire %{SSL_CIPHER} !~ m/^EXP-.*/ and \
                #           %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O} eq "Snake Oil, Ltd." and \
                #           %{REMOTE_ADDR} =~ m/^1\.2\.3\.[0-9]+$/