Ok, because of the problem reports with various client/platforms and the fact
that I cannot reproduce the problems, I've now established a little test suite
for us. Under

      http://en4.engelschall.com/
     https://en4.engelschall.com/

an Apache/1.3.6+mod_ssl/2.2.6+OpenSSL/0.9.2b test server is running under
FreeBSD 3.1. It has three test CGI scripts installed, debugging enabled and
and a little mechanism to look at the last 16KB of the Apache logfiles.

I've now connected with the following Netscape browsers running under X11 on
my development FreeBSD 3.1 box here at home:

     Netscape 2.02
     Netscape 3.04
     Netscape 4.08
     Netscape 4.51

and all four versions connected fine and passed the three CGI scripts
successfully without any hangs, any I/O errors or other unusual things.  In
other words, as I said: Under my development platform I cannot reproduce your
problems. So, it's now your turn. Connect from your favorite client platform
with your esoteric clients and hopefully let us find out something...