On Thu, Oct 22, 1998, John Leveron wrote:

> Jay D. Ribak wrote:
>
> > I used *.inetsolve.com, which according to Thawte's web site, is legal for
> > Apache with mod_SSL installed.   I will try just www.inetsolve.com for
> > the common name.
>
> Is this a legal practice in general, or does it "break" certain
> browsers?  As I have a number of subdomains under missouri.edu, when we
> buy a key from Thawte, etc. I'd like to use *.missouri.edu if it won't
> upset the applecart :)

It's only supported by Netscape and breaks other browsers. At least MSIE
doesn't like this and some CAs also don't like it (of course, because without
wildcard CNs they can charge more). So for a real production website where you
don't know your visitors (in contrast to an Intranet situation where you
perhaps can force your visitors to use Netscape) I recommend you to not use
wildcard CNs.