On Thu, Nov 05, 1998, Jan Wedekind wrote:

> > Ralf, Tom, and others, I've gotten another clue to my non-working web server.
> >   As you may recall, everything seems to have compiled correctly, but hitting
> >  my website:
> >
> >     https://mymachine.foo.com:8443/
> >
> It's the additional port nr. '8443' which confuses mod_ssl.
> the same happened to me with port 8080, where the test
> server runned at.

Wait! On _ALL_ my testings on en1.engelschall.com I use port 8080 for HTTP and
8443 for HTTPS because en1 also runs the non-testing Apache+mod_ssl on 80/443.
And it works fine this way. Actually the port number is not important for
neither mod_ssl nor SSLeay. It's only important that a <VirtualHost> section
exists which _EXACTLY_ matches the IP and this port. Because else
Apache+mod_ssl cannot find the SSL configuration.  So when 8443 doesn't work
as expected the problem is most of the time an incorrect <VirtualHost> line.

So when 8443 doesn't work but 443 does (assuming you have matching Listen
directives both times) please let us trace this down. It should work with 8443
for you, too.