On Sun, Nov 15, 1998, Dan Roscigno wrote:

> I remember when gcache was introduced many people were claiming that it
> was unstable and should be disabled.  I have been running with it turned
> off on my apache-ssl server, when I compiled the mod_ssl server (what a
> pleasure it was to do I will add) I left it turned on to see how things
> seemed.  I am wondering if there are still concerns about the stability
> of this program?

I've cleaned up and fixed the ssl_gcache program for mod_ssl and since
2.0.[678] I've never seen any more failures or segfaults of it. So you can use
it when you're using one of the latest mod_ssl 2.0.x versions. Without it you
can observe a noticeable speed penalty, so use it.

> Also, Is it OK to use NameVirtualHosts as long as all of the Virtual
> Hosts use the same cert?  For example, I have the domain average.com
> with virtual hosts joe.average.com, sally.average.com, and
> www.average.com.  When I created my cert I filled in "average.com" for
> the common name, and joe and sally are both CNAMES for www.average.com.
> This setup works fine for me, I am just checking to make sure that it is
> supposed to work!

Yes, this will work this way, but only this way.

> I would like to test different server configs and record the time to
> handle n requests.  With httpd I can use "ab" is there a similar utility
> for https?

"ab" is a benchmarking program. I don't know any tools such for HTTPS. But for
mod_ssl 2.1.x I'll add HTTPS support to "ab".  In the meantime you can do a
poor mans variant of "ab" for HTTPS. Use Lynx+SSL-patches or cURL plus a shell
script which runs a lot of instances of these tools. Sure it needs a lot of
RAM, but with it you can at least stress-test your server and time it it
little bit (by running "time <script>", etc). But there will be no really
meaningful numbers, of course...