On Fri, Dec 04, 1998, William X. Walsh wrote:

> What impact will this have on the mod_ssl project if it is indeed accurate?
>
> http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/122463.html

A few facts from my point of view:

1. Although the article said "Germany is among the countries that agreed to
   make their controls more strict at the Wassenaar meeting" AFAIK this is
   still only a press information IMHO. Nothing really happended until now
   AFAIK. And because since a few weeks we've a new government I'm not
   convinced that this will really happen.  At least the new government is
   less conservative than the old, so such crypto laws have less chance.

2. mod_ssl is distributed from _Switzerland_ and not from Germany, because
   www.engelschall.com is located in Zurich, Switzerland at the ETHZ.  So even
   when our German law should change we can distribute/export mod_ssl from
   there unless I've do my development on this machine, too.

3. Really good pieces of software never get lost: there is always one
   who takes it over and develops it further for the community. So even when I
   personally would no longer be allowed to develop mod_ssl I'm sure we find
   someone who can take it over. At least I currently try hard to make mod_ssl
   the cleanest SSL solution for Apache, so I'm convinced that a new developer
   can be found when all should go finally bad with the laws.

So, don't panic. I'm sure mod_ssl will survive those law issues...

Greetings,