I've currently seen the following statement on http://www.gnu.org/home.html:

   ``New information regarding the Wassenaar agreement indicates that the
   information we posted here on the 11th of December was a false alarm. An
   attentive reader pointed out to us that The Wassenaar agreement will not be
   applied to free software.''

Although I've read the Wassenaar agreement stuff last week, I've only
recognized that they talk about "software in the public domain".  And that can
be interpreted differently, i.e. PD software is free software, but not all
types of free software is PD. So the question is: Has somebody already more or
background information why the FSF came to the above conclusion? Just from
reading the Wassenaar stuff I still cannot see why it shouldn't apply to free
software in general. Or did I overlooked something essential?