On Wed, Apr 14, 1999, Matthias Loepfe wrote:

> A renegotiation only happens if:
>
> 1.) if current cipher is not contained in the new cipher list
> 2.) if current cert chain length is longer than the verify depth
> 3.) if verify client is required and no peer cert is available
> 4.) ....

Ok, I've though about this now again and think your suggestions are ok, but
technically read the following for mod_ssl:

A renegotiation _has_ to be performed...

o If the currently active cipher is not contained in the
  reconfigured/new cipher suite.
o If the currently active verify type is less (strong) than
  the reconfigured/new verify type
  (order is: none < optional_no_ca < optional < require)
o If the currently active verify depth is greater than the
  reconfigured/new verify depth.

Additionally the following optimization is possible: When the currently active
verify type is "none" but a client certificate is already known/present, it's
enough to manually force a client verification but skip the renegotation
handshake itself.

Is this optimized approach still secure?