On Mon, May 24, 1999, Randy Lee wrote:

> Lyn has a problem that I have... I have not seen an asnwer on the digest
> to the problem. Any thoughts?
> [...]
>
> I've read the FAQ and scanned the archives.  I haven't yet found a
> solution.
>
> The problem has come up on the list before: The server starts
> successfully, but refuses connections from clients and sends messages
> like this to the ssl_log:
>
> [12/Mar/1999:12:30:09 -0600] Unable to set private key
> [12/Mar/1999:12:30:09 -0600] ssl_int_SetCertStuff failed
>
> This is a linux 2.0 box (no alpha-gcc problem).  I have also done some
> diagnostics on the certificate and private key file.  The output is
> appended below for reference.
>
> My situation is this: I inherited an apache installation whose
> certificate proceeded to expire.  I obtained a new certificate from
> verisign, and replaced the SSLCertificateFile and SSLCertificateKeyFile
> with the new certificate and key.  I have *not* built mod_ssl or
> apache (they were both installed when I started).
>
> can someone shed some light?

The failure to read the key can have lots of reasons.  First I suggest you to
check the cert and key files with the "openssl x509" and "openssl rsa", of
course.  Second, the above message are from an ancient mod_ssl 2.0.x.  We're
already at 2.2.8 and the next days already at 2.3.x.  So do yourself a favor
and try to upgrade to a current version. We've fixed _LOTS_ of bugs since
2.0.x, so the chance is high that also your problem is solved.