Hi,
I've also recently set up an SSL site, whereby I wanted peiple who
accidentally typed in "http://" URLs to be sent to the https site.
It just needed the following virtual host, in addition to the SSL one.

<VirtualHost host01:80>
    ServerName managed-services.equant-web.net
    Redirect permanent / https://name-of-ssl-site/
</VirtualHost>

Where host01 is the name of the machine, and the SSL site was on
<VirtualHost host01:443>.
The following directives were needed above the VirtualHost clauses.

NameVirtualHost host01:80
NameVirtualHost host02:443