Hi,

I have experienced similar problems as Arend van der Veen.
My problem was reproducability, because I could reproduce it with
old Netscape versions and new versions, that were generated by
upgrading old version. I could not reproduce these problems on
a freshly installed PC with a freshly installed 4.61...

Anyway, to get more precise:
- I have only seen this problem with Netscape for Win32 (never tried Win16).
  NS for Linux and HP-UX did not exhibit this problem.
- The problem also appeared for a service I am working on (SMTP with TLS),
  so it might be combined with the underlying OpenSSL library. I don't think
  it is a problem of mod_ssl alone.
- I have setup test certificates and Nelson B. Bolyard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  tried to reproduce the problem in the netscape.dev.ssl newsgroup:
  His experience was:
> Using the cert you sent me, I accessed the page bearing my name with
> Communicator 4.5 and also with 4.7 (which is not yet released).
>
> 4.5 crashed when I attempted to access your site.  (sigh.)
> 4.7 did client auth and accessed the page without any problem.
>
> I'd file a bug against 4.5, but it appears to already be "fixed in the next
> release".
  I have filed a bug report anyway. (This passage cited as it is not from
  personal mail but from the public netscape.dev.ssl newsgroup, thread:
  "Client certificate problem with Win32")
- I tested by sniffing during the negotiation and my experience is, that
  once the server asked for the cert and the client asks the user for the
  password, the client PC will not send out packages to the server anymore
  (with my SMTP server and TCP protocol).

So much for my actual knowledge,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/