On Sun, Nov 14, 1999, Eli Marmor wrote:

> It's off-topic, but was raised when I investigated how to unite the
> patch scripts of UNIX and Windows (of mod_ssl) into one script
> (Ralph - does it interest you?  The current status looks anomal for
> me...).

Hmmm... I guess your merge means that the Unix configure script is now also a
Perl script. That's a restriction I wanted to avoid and that's why the Unix
configure is a shell script. OTOH a Bourne-shell script for Windows is there a
too hard restriction and a DOS-script (.bat) is too weak for the job. So I'm
wondering how your merge works without restricting any side? ;)

> [...]
> Is there any guide how to add a new module to Apache so it will be
> supported by BOTH of the environments?
> Everybody knows how to use "--add-module", how to add directives,
> and so on, but the rules for Windows are completely different; You
> must modify Makefiles, ".def" files, etc.
>
> Does anybody have a good (or bad) answer for me?
> Should I send this question to the mailing list of Apache modules?

Yeah, this point I raised already one year ago and the others of us in the
Apache Group said that we shouldn't use a Unix-style build-environment under
Windows, because Windows users are used to their graphical GUI-based Visual
C++ environment. I thought and still think this is a horrible inconsistency,
but I couldn't convince anyone to use a Unix-style environment also for the
Windows platform....