On Wed, Dec 22, 1999, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> >> When the next version of Apache is released, can you just upgrade
> >> the Apache or will mod_ssl and/or openssl need to be reinstalled to
>
> >> retain SSL  ?
> >You sould beable to just drop the new apache source into place, and
> >recompile it with the proper params like you did before.  This is
> easiest
> >if you retain the source for mod_ssl and openssl under some apache
> >specific src/ tree, if ya dig what I'm saying;  you already built
> >the other two, yer just going to rebuild apache with their inclusion.
>
> It's not that simple because the new Apache will not contain EAPI, and
> if you just drop it into place, you'll have an Apache with no EAPI and
> mod_ssl won't work anymore.  Besides, the EAPI changes with every
> release of Apache because the line numbers (etc) in Apache change and
> therefore the EAPI patches must be updated to reflect that.  You don't
> have to redo openssl (assuming you did a separate make/make install for
> openssl to install it as a system library), just mod_ssl.  I'd tend to
> expect a new version of mod_ssl out when the new Apache comes out,
> assuming all goes as it usually does.  Right, Ralf?

Sure, as for the last 1.5 years, once a new Apache version is out, at the same
time (sometimes even some time before ;) a corresponding mod_ssl version is
available which applies cleanly to the current Apache state. So the fact that
EAPI needs adjusting is not important for end users. I take care of this all
the time. But as it looks, the chances are high that we get EAPI into Apache
1.3.11 (not 1.3.10, for this it was too late and so the resistance was already
too high).