I am a total novice and tried to use the step-by-step installation illustration given in Examples and Tests on the modssl site. This is what I did:

1. Got the tar files: apache_1.3.9, mod_ssl-2.4.9-1.3.9 and openssl-0.9.4.

2. The instructions don't mention where to put the files to untar them so I put them in /usr/local/apache and untarred them from there

3. I ran ./config then make on openssl-0.9.4 (this appeared to work fine)

4. I tried to build and install the ssl-aware apache. The following is the output:

[root@oscar openssl-0.9.4]# cd ..
[root@oscar apache]# cd mod_ssl-2.4.9-1.3.9
[root@oscar mod_ssl-2.4.9-1.3.9]# ./configure -- with-apache=../apache_1.3.9 --with- ssl=../openssl-0.9.4 --pref
ix=/usr/local/apache
Configuring mod_ssl/2.4.9 for Apache/1.3.9
+ Apache location: ../apache_1.3.9 (Version 1.3.9)
+ OpenSSL location: ../openssl-0.9.4
+ Auxiliary patch tool: ./etc/patch/patch (local)
+ Applying packages to Apache source tree:
o Extended API (EAPI)
h¡%openssl-0.9.4/crypto/ripemd/rmdtest.c q openssl-0.9.4/crypto/rsa/ ¡%openssl- 0.9.4/crypto/rsa/Makefile.ssl ) o SSL Support
o SSL Configuration Additions
o SSL Module Documentation
o Addons
Done: source extension and patches successfully applied.

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.9
+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Error: Cannot find SSL binaries under /usr/local/apache/openssl-0.9.4
Creating Makefile in src
+ configured for Linux platform
+ setting C compiler to gcc
+ setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
+ checking for system header files
+ adding selected modules
o ssl_module uses ConfigStart/End
+ SSL interface: mod_ssl/2.4.9
+ SSL interface build type: OBJ
+ SSL interface compatibility: enabled
+ SSL interface experimental code: disabled
+ SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
+ SSL interface plugin: Built-in SDBM
+ SSL library path: /usr/local/apache/openssl-0.9.4
./configure:Error: APACI failed
[root@oscar mod_ssl-2.4.9-1.3.9]#

Can someone please tell me what to do from here?

I am running a small private network with internet access through a simple dial-up account with an ISP. The Linux server is working fine distributing mail and acting as a proxy for the workstations. But the workstations cannot access secure sites. I assume from this that I have to add ssl to the apache server? Is there a simpler way?

Thanks

Frances Russell