On Wed, Mar 08, 2000, Jennifer Harless wrote:

> I've looked through the archives for the answer to this question and didn't
> find anything, so I thought I'd see if anyone knew.
>
> I've installed Apache 1.3.12 on an HP box running HP-UX 11 and am trying to
> get SSL to work with it.  I have sucessfully installed it on my RedHat 5.2
> box, by the way, using the very same .gz archive.  When I make Apache after
> configuring mod_ssl and OpenSSL, I get the following warnings:
>
> <some correctly compiled stuff>
>
> cc: "ssl_engine_kernel.c", line 188: warning 604: Pointers are not
> assignment-compatible.
> cc: "ssl_engine_kernel.c", line 188: warning 563: Argument #2 is not the
> correct type.

The second warning I can accept and will be fixed for 2.6.3 with an eval
cast. But the first warning is bullshit, I think. The involved ap_md5
function returns a "char *" and I assign it also to a variable of this
type.

> <some more correctly compiled stuff>
>
> cc: "ssl_engine_ext.c", line 485: warning 604: Pointers are not
> assignment-compatible.
> cc: "ssl_engine_ext.c", line 485: warning 563: Argument #2 is not the
> correct type.

Same here. The second warnings is correct and now fixed, the first is
bogus IMHO.

> This means, of course, that when I apachectl startssl, I get an error that
> says SSLEngine is an unknown directive and Apache can't be started.

Errr... what? The above are _warnings_ and have nothing to do with the
fact that your directives are not found. If the directives are not
found, mod_ssl is not present. That's all. But this has nothing to do
with the above warnings.

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to these files to make them compile
> properly?  I would really appreciate any help! :)

They compile correctly, don't worry. The two warnings are harmless and
were just not catched by me because GCC doesn't find them. But the code
is fully correct. It's just type signed/unsigned conversion paranoia
issue. Your real problem is more that you either build httpd incorrectly
(i.e. without SSL) or built mod_ssl as a DSO and forget to load it later
(i.e. no "LoadModule" directive in your httpd.conf).