On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 09:52:35AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Let me try and clarify the situation. My problem only occurs when I try to start
> apache at boot time. Once the machine is booted and running in full multi-user
> mode both egd and apache start fine (as long as I start them in that order).
>
> Currently my problem seems to be down to egd. I've written a script to run at
> boot time - it's currently in /etc/rc3.d (running Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc
> Ultra5). The boot script produces the following error message:
>
> ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: libgdbm.so.2: open failed: No such file or
> directory
>
> I just don't understand this. The only way the library couldn't be there is if
> /usr/local wasn't mounted. Since both egd.pl and perl itself (V5.6) are in
> /usr/local/bin that can't be. Is there some environment variable that perl
> expects for this library? And if so, why does it run once the machine is booted?

I don't think I can help you on this one. I don't have Solaris so I don't
know about it's special properties.
>From what I read there is an LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable that tells
the dynamic loader where to look for shared libraries at run time, but again,
this is just a wild guess.
(My HP-UX systems have the property to hard code shared library paths into
the executables. While most people are annoyed it can be of advantage in some
situations :-)

> Any ideas welcomed - I've exhausted all mine.
I have another idea to offer:
  http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/personen/jaenicke/postfix_tls/prngd.html
I was annoyed by some properties of EGD (especially it is a resource hog
as it needs PERL, today I am sitting at another place, in front of a
HP 9000/710 (1992, 48MB RAM, approx equivalent to a 66MHz Pentium), and
I can tell you: it makes a difference :-), so I wrote a very small and
handy replacement for EGD. You might give it a try.

Best regards,
        Lutz
PS. In any case your analysis of the problem did help very much. By now we
know what the reason for the mod_ssl failure is and that it is not related
to mod_ssl or your mod_ssl configuration. You can now either replace EGD
with PRNGD or try to track down your PERL startup problem.
On HP-UX I can "chatr /usr/local/bin/perl" and it will tell me which
shared libraries it uses and where they should be located. On Linux (and Sun?)
the command is ldd. There is also a command to have the dynamic loader
recheck the library paths (ldconfig -a?) on Linux, don't ask me for Sun...
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/