On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 06:12:09PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> I imported iestuff.p12 into my MSIE browser and select that certificate
> when prompted by the browser.
>
> I then used the following SSL related values in my SSL vhost:
>
>         SSLEngine       on
>         SSLCertificateFile      /home/dan/CA/demoCA/cacert.pem
>         SSLCertificateKeyFile   /home/dan/CA/demoCA/private/cakey.key
>
>         SSLCACertificatePath    /home/dan/CA/demoCA/
>         SSLCACertificateFile    /home/dan/CA/demoCA/cacert.pem
>
>         <Location /securelocation>
>                 SSLVerifyClient require
>                 SSLVerifyDepth  1
>         </Location>
>
> Note that I'm using the CA certificate and key for the SSL and the
> SSLCA information.  Does that make sense?  I tried this:
>
>         SSLCACertificatePath    /home/dan/CA/
>         SSLCACertificateFile    /home/dan/CA/newcert.pem
>
> But if I use that combination, my browser certificate is not listed in the
> "Client Authentication" dialog box presented by the browser when I go
> to /securelocation.
>
> Why?  What have I misunderstood?

You should use three distinct certificates (and corresponding private keys):
* The CA certificate. You already have one, use it with SSLCACertificateFile
* The server's certificate. You don't have one by now. Create a new one
  signed from your CA. Issue it for CommonName (CN) being the FQDN
  (fully qualified domain name) of your server: Use it with
  mv newkey.pem server_key.pem
  mv newcert.pem server_cert.pem
  SSLCertificateFile /path/to/server_cert.pem
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/server_key.pem
* The client key. You already put it into iestuff.p12...

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/