On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Tom Oehser wrote:

> I found the documentation on how to upgrade *modssl* later, using apxs.
> But that method doesn't seem to apply to upgrading *apache*...

The short answer is that while it *can* be done, it's a very manual
process and it's highly prone to mistakes.  If you insist on doing it by
hand, there's a flag you can give to mod_ssl's configure to force it to
try to apply itself to a version it wasn't designed to work with
(--force), but don't be surprised if you get patching errors and have to
manually tweak the Apache source afterward to get it to (a) compile and
(b) run correctly.  The safest bet by far is to just wait on the new
version of mod_ssl to be released.

--Cliff