>uname -a
>Linux darkstar 2.0.35 #4 Mon Dec 14 18:18:57 CST 1998 i586 unknown
>
>and no matter how we configure, apache dies under

SNIP

Just tested it on my old local testbed server.. (not online)

Slackware 7.1.0
Kernel 2.2.16
Apache 2.0.39

Just did the normal configure, make and make install.. now it's running
Apache 2.. Uhm.. yeah.. so.. since 2.2.16 qualifies for 'older kernel' ;)
something else must be the reason why it failed on your box..

Bye,

B.