I thought it might be something like that, but typically when I've run
into this, I've made a change to a http virtual host, and all the other
virtual hosts ssl or not, are then not accessible.  Maybe apache needs a
better way to reload configs for virtual hosts (such that it doesn't
bother anything else)...but that's not a topic for this list.  :)
Thanks for the response.

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 09:48, Boyle Owen wrote:
> >From: Sean M Alderman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >
> >Greetings all,
> >  I'm curious if anyone has come across issues with starting apache
> >using -
> ># $APACHE_HOME/bin/apachectl startssl
> >and then having apache hang when issuing this -
> ># $APACHE_HOME/bin/apachectl restart
> >
> >I'm running 1.3.26 with the latest mod_ssl on Solaris 8.  I don't get
> >any error messages in the logs, and apachectl says that it
> >restarts just
> >fine, but when you point a browser back to the server it does not
> >respond.  I can fix it with an apachectl stop;apachectl startssl, but
> >I'm just curious about not being able to do the restart.
>
> Restart sends a HUP to apache. I've found that this is sometimes insufficiently
>forceful to make apache reload certain SSL parameters (e.g. if you change the
>certificate). However, it should be sufficient for non-SSL edits.
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle

Sean M. Alderman
ITRACK Systems Analyst
PACE/NCI - NASA Glenn Research Center
(216) 433-2795

Calling a windowed operating system "Windows" is like naming an
automobile "Wheels."