The SSL session is established *before* any HTTP traffic takes place. If the session
fails to be set up, the client cannot send any request through to apache, which
operates at the HTTP layer. So the server isn't really aware that any request was made
and so can't very well generate a response...

I think you'd have to hack into the mod_ssl code to achieve this.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle