you used --enable-shared=ss, so mod-ssl is a shared module, not part of
the core compiled in stuff in the httpd binary you made.  Now you have to
load the module in the httpd.conf file and configure the ssl related
settings to get it to run for you when you apachectl startssl.

Most the settings and directives should be in the default httpd.conf file
generated in the make;makeinstall, and await you editing refinements.  the
man pages and online documentation at the apche and mod-ssl sites should
guide you through any settings not clarified fully in the comments in the
default httpd.conf file

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Manoj Kithany wrote:

> Hi Experts!
>
> I want to INSTALL and CONFIGURE my APACHE 1.3.27 for SSL. SO, I got mod_ssl
> from the site and installed it using
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> #pwd
> /opt/freeware/src/packages/SOURCES/mod_ssl-2.8.11-1.3.27
>
> # ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.27
> --with-ssl=/Downloads/openssl-0.9.6g --with-crt=/usr/local/ssl/bin/cert.cer
> --with-key=/usr/local/ssl/bin/private.key --prefix=/kit --enable-shared=ssl
>
> #cd ..
> #cd apache_1.3.27
> #make
> #make certificate
> #make install
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This DOCUMENTATION was given in README file in the above directory.
>
> Later when I check if my APACHE was configured for SSL by using:
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # ./httpd -l
> Compiled-in modules:
> http_core.c
> mod_env.c
> mod_log_config.c
> mod_mime.c
> mod_negotiation.c
> mod_status.c
> mod_include.c
> mod_autoindex.c
> mod_dir.c
> mod_cgi.c
> mod_asis.c
> mod_imap.c
> mod_actions.c
> mod_userdir.c
> mod_alias.c
> mod_access.c
> mod_auth.c
> mod_so.c
> mod_setenvif.c
> suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /kit/bin/suexec
> #
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> As Seen above, MOD_SSL Module is NOT LISTED above. When I
> Installed/configured (as shown above) I did not receive any ERROR - but
> still could NOT see if MOD_SSL was configured? Any suggestions/hints

        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!