On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Manoj Kithany wrote:

> Thanks Lutz:
>
> Where to put SSLRandomSeed....? Becos I put it in Virtual Host as shown:
> <VirtualHost *>
>       ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       DocumentRoot /kit
>       ServerName www.my.server.name
>       ErrorLog logs/log1
>       #SSLRandomFile file /dev/egd-pool 1024
>       SSLRandomSeed startup egd:/var/run/egd-pool
>       SSLRandomSeed connect egd:/var/run/egd-pool
>       SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/ssl/certs/cert.cer
>       SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/ssl/bin/private.key
> </VirtualHost>
>
> and it throws following Error:
> # ./apachectl startssl
> Syntax error on line 983 of /kit/conf/httpd.conf:
> SSLRandomSeed cannot occur within <VirtualHost> section
> ./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started
> #

The clue here is clearly stated:  SSLRandomSeed cannot occur within
<VirtualHost> section, move the SSLRandomSeed directives higher up in the
conf file, before the VirtualHost sections.  Perhaps more directly under
the <IfDefine SSL> or prior to that.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

> >From: Lutz Jaenicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: SSLRandomFIle Error (Apache-mod_ssl)
> >Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 22:17:31 +0100
> >
> >On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 09:11:48PM +0000, Manoj Kithany wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I think I have Apache + mod_ssl on my IBM AIX box.
> > >
> > > My httpd.conf file contains:
> > > <VirtualHost *>
> > >   ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >   DocumentRoot /kit
> > >   ServerName www.my.server.name
> > >   ErrorLog logs/log1
> > >   SSLRandomFile file /dev/egd-pool 1024
> > >   SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/ssl/certs/cert.cer
> > >   SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/ssl/bin/private.key
> > > </VirtualHost>
> > > When I RUN my Apache, I get following Error:
> > > # ./apachectl startssl
> > > Syntax error on line 980 of /kit/conf/httpd.conf:
> > > Invalid command 'SSLRandomFile', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> >module
> > > not included in the server configuration
> > > ./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started
> > >
> > > Do you know what is the problem? I read the documentation regarding the
> > > above since my IBM AIX Box does NOT have /dev/random
> >
> >But you didn't read carefully enough. If you are using an EGD style device,
> >you must explicitely tell:
> >SSLRandomSeed startup egd:/var/run/egd-pool
> >SSLRandomSeed connect egd:/var/run/egd-pool

        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!