On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Dave Paris wrote:

> Not only is it not possible

With the current state of the SSL protocol such as it is, this is
correct-- it's not possible.

> it'd be a HUGE security flaw if it WERE possible.

Well, not necessarily... all that you would need is for the client to tell
the server which host it *thought* it was contacting, and then the server
would know which vhost to serve the request with and therefore which
certificate to present.  That would require the SSL protocol to have the
equivalent of HTTP's Host: header.  From there, as long as the certificate
can be verified as authentic, there's no more risk than there would be if
there was a one-to-one mapping between IP and hostname as the current SSL
protocol requires.

But please, people, this is SUCH a frequently asked question.  Definitely
one of the top three.  I wonder if we can't find a better way to document
this?  Anyone have any ideas?  I'd say un-hiding it from the FAQ page
would be a good start... it's a prominent question, give the answer a more
prominent location.

--Cliff