Rob,

I may be wrong but i would work through your mod_rewrite configuration as afaik this error is caused by internal redirections going in a loop, rather than it being an ssl related error.

you can turn on rewrite logging and see exactly what it is doing, although beware this does produce LOTS of logging, especially with a rewrite loop.

Tim