[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Aaron Dalton wrote:

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:30:47 -0700
From: Aaron Dalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: modssl-users@modssl.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Apache with Mod ssl on a system running apache on freebsd

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Trying to upgrade a freebsd 6.1 that is running "Apache/1.3.39 (Unix)
PHP/5.2.4 with Suhosin-Patch" to include mod_ssl.

It makes, with no problems but when I install it, it requiers Apache to be
deinstalled, the big problem is that Apache has a few required packages
that can not be removed with out a lot of problems.

You should be able to do a full "make" without deinstalling the old
Apache.  If make words, then it should only take a minute to do a "make
deinstall reinstall."  Of course, this doesn't account for time tweaking
the conf files and debugging.  This is why you really need a development
machine that is essentially a mirror of the critical app server so you
can do test runs and such.  Or a 2nd (or 3rd) app server for redundancy
if this server is so important.  In any case, you *will* at some point
have to down your web server to do the upgrade.  That is unavoidable.

Aaron you did not read it..

The problem I have is it will not do a deinstall as there is other
packages that are using it, so a deinstall and reinstall does not work.

Of course I read your post. Why when there are misunderstandings do people always assume it's the listener's fault and not their own?

Are you saying you are not *able* to remove the old Apache or not *willing* to? If you are not *willing* to, then I cannot help without more information on why. If you are saying you're not *able* to, I think you're mistaken, or there is more information that you haven't shared yet.

"make deinstall" will remove a port regardless of any dependencies. I assume you're talking about replacing the old apache with the exact same version, just with mod_ssl compiled in. In that case you still do what I mentioned earlier:
  1) build the port w/ mod_ssl
  2) make deinstall reinstall
3) pkgdb -Ff (to tell the port system that prior dependencies should now point to the mod_ssl'd apache)

I'm happy to help if you want, I just need more information to be effective.

--
Aaron Dalton       |   Super Duper Games
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://superdupergames.org