Hello all,
        Sorry for the delay. We found a work around and quit looking into
the below issue. Thanks to Peter for the static library suggestion and Lee
for the same and for getting me back on the topic. We were able to get
everything working how it should. A note, we are compiling modssl into
apache. We are not using it as a shared object. Here are the key config
options for openssl and apache:

Openssl:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssl --shared

Apache:

./configure --with-included-apr --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl

It is probably a good idea to run a sudo make clean for each installation.
At least it was for us since we re-installed about 50 times.

Thanks again,

Gunner Geller