Hi David, Tim.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:25 PM, David Nicol <davidni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Tim Bunce <tim.bu...@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>> On CPAN frameworks, especially generic ones with plugins etc., are
>> encouraged to have "brand names". Think Catalyst, Mojo, Smolder, Plack,
>> Dist::Zilla to name a few off the top of my head.
>

> so it examines the hard drive and  notes the presence of what it is
> supposed to look for, then issues a report in any of several
> computer-parseable formats?

Sort of. It runs commands and parses the output. Basic stuff, I admit. :)

The point is to have a more flexible Perl "Facter".

 First off, I'd drop the serializer part and use a serializer library for
> those, just to lower the maintenance burden (at the price of external
> dependency -- season to taste)

The serializers aren't really implementation, just glue code between the
other serializers.

Or did you mean something else?

> Also, ++ to giving it a "brand name." It sounds kind of cloak-and-dagger,
> like this module spies on the PC where it is installed and sends back
> reports, like a foreign agent.  How about "Boris" after Boris of Boris and
> Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=boris+badenov

Although I don't really know Rocky and Bullwinkle, a brand name _is_ a good
idea (and i'm not excluding Boris in it).

However, I should apologize for having the youthful impatience of releasing
this module already (under the name Data::Collector) before waiting for a
response. Unfortunately there is no way to return a namespace to allowed to
be occupied (is there?) and I prefer not to take two namespaces
(Data::Collector, "brand name") for the same thing.

Do you still think there's a point in changing it to a brand name? Is it
possible to "return" a namespace, have it still be "up for grabs" on first
come first serve basis?

Thanks again,
Sawyer.